Activated Carbon is a porous form of Carbon manufactured form Coconut shell, wood or coal. Activation is achieved with steam and it develops myraid of pores with enormous internal surface area.
The porosity creates a remarkable power of ADSORPTION, an indispensable process in industrial separation, purification; decolarization and recovery techniques. The Carbon atoms at the internal surface of Activated Carbon exert an attraction (van der waals force) on the molecules of surroundings liquid and gas and fixes on to its pore walls. This is the basis of mechanism whereby Activated Carbons may be used to remove one or more components from a mixture.
The Powdered activated carbons are used in the following Industries :-
- Purification of edible and inedible oils.
- Purification of higher Fatty Acid
- Food Industries (Glucose, Fructose etc.)
- Soft Drink and Effluent treatment
- Dye and Dye intermediates
- Purification of acidic and Basic electroplating baths.